Monday, Sept. 28
- Bowe/ Martin Chapter 4 Intercultural Pragmatics
- For Wednesday: Read Ch. 4 pp. 78-86
- Obama Interview
- How is Obama using FTAs to attack his enemies (ISIL/S; Iraq; Taliban)? How does he restore his own positive face and that of his administration?
- What semantic fields do the metaphors come from that he uses. There are a couple of surprises!
Wednesday, Sept 30
- Cross Cultural Apologies and Review, p. 83
- How do politicians apologize? Find three examples of high profile apologies. Describe their acts of apology in terms of a) regretful acknowledgement of guilt or fault, b) lack of bad intent, c) explanation or vindication. What kinds of IFIDs can you identify? Are the apologies structured the same way across cultures? Why (not)? Post on course site by Friday under the category “apology”
- Why does Donald Trump find it so hard to say he’s sorry?
- For Friday: Research Analysis p. 89-91.
Friday, Oct. 2
- Discuss analyses
- Homework to be handed in on Monday: Research Exercise, p. 91.
- Read Chapter 5 95-101.