Monday, Nov. 9
Chapter 9 Interpretation and Translation
1) What sorts of images are used in the advertising?
2) Make a word cloud of the terms that come up in your brainstorming. What part of the “semantic field” of the advertisement’s message is being foregrounded?
3) Is price mentioned? Why/not?
4) What connection do you find between Hofstede’s cultural dimensions and modes of advertising?
What is the best way to test a translation?
In what ways do interpreters act as “institutional gatekeepers”? What problems exist in the medical field when it comes to the use of interpreters?
For Wednesday: Read Chapter 9, pp. 195-202
Wednesday, Nov. 11
- Chapter 9 Review;
- East meets West
- Group work, Focus Question, pp. 203-4
For Friday: Research Exercise, p. 204
Friday, Nov. 13
- Report back on Translation examples!
- For Monday, read Chapter 10, pp. 206-217