The Industrial Age of Art

I must admit, I don’t think I have ever been to a true art exhibit. Yet, I was thoroughly entertained throughout the night. Mr. Dubois was definitely an interesting artist to say the least. He held a creative atmosphere around himself and his answers.

Every question Professor Faull proposed to him, I felt he answer in a “non-conformed” manner, much like his art. Consequently, he always had an incredible story to go along with why he had done his art the way he had. For instance, the presidents’ most used diction; he talked about his presentation to the children and teaching them about history. He has shown to be more than only an artist but an educator as well. It was refreshing to hear of the wonderful missions he has accomplished by simply doing what he loves – art.

During the end of Mr. Dubois’s talk with Professor Faull, I became inquisitive. Thus, I decided to ask a question – “How has traveling and learning of different cultures affected the way in which you do your work? And do you speak any different languages?” He answered jokingly that he spoke a number of languages but “not well.” Although, he did say that the learning of different cultures has been incorporated in his art. Personally, I think that it is evident when looking at how a large percentage of his portraits are made with geography.

After the talk, I went up to the showroom. I felt like I was at a first class exhibit. I loved the modern touch of the room, and of course, the food. For me the little finger food and faux wine glass cups made me feel like I was first-class. Not to forget the actual artwork; each display was placed perfectly. (Remember this was my first exhibit)

My favorite piece was certainly the president’s most commonly used words. I have been interested in learning about the presidential history as long as I can remember. However, some of the assumptions I made for each president weren’t always correct. I had guessed that Abraham Lincoln’s most word/phrase would be “Civil War,” but “emancipation” did pass through my mind once or twice.

Another favorite piece of mine was the type writer with headphones. It made me realize the stride technology has undertaken (For example his artwork) and how I miss using a typewriter. (Yes, I did use a typewriter in first grade during library. If you forgot your book, you had to sit and type sentences, but I enjoyed it.)

All in all, I really want to visit another exhibit, and I would even like to revisit the Samek Gallery to review his work a little closer. Top-notch experience altogether!

For my title:

If you think of his artwork, it is of the coming age – technology. It is another major turn in our century like the industrial age.

Posted

in

by

Comments