Dialogues

Written by: Matt Fay and Ryan Wang

1. Mark, from America, is talking to Tim, from Japan.  

Mark: I hope to be the owner of a multi million dollar company one day!

Tim: That would be nice wouldn’t it.

Mark: Yes! I would be able to have millions of dollars all to myself!

Tim: What about all of the others that will help you run it, will they get a lot of money too?

Mark: They will get enough, but I will get a majority of the money because I am the owner.

Tim: Hmmm… that doesn’t seem right to me.

2.  A German man, Jack, is talking to a boy from Denmark, Thomas about college.  

Jack: So Thomas, how do you like school?

Thomas: It is pretty good, its not too hard.

Jack: What is your major?

Thomas: I’m undecided right now,  I have until sophomore year until I need to declare.

Jack: So you are in college without a plan for your future? Are you just hoping to get lucky and find a job?

Thomas: No I am exploring different subjects to find out what I am interested in.  You do not need such structure to everything that you do.

Jack:  You are just too young to know what is best for you.

3.  Three people are about to play soccer Dan and Kim are from America while John is from Iraq

Kim: Can I play soccer with you guys?

Dan: Sure! What position do you play?

Kim: I’m a striker, I played for my high school team

*John pulls Dan to the side*

John: What are you doing?! She’s a girl, she can’t play with us

Dan: What? I don’t understand what the problem here is…

John: She’s a girl…girls aren’t allowed to play sports with guys. Plus, I want to actually win this game, she’ll be a distraction

Dan: That’s ridiculous! She could be the best striker we have! Understand that this is a team sport, even if we don’t win, we’ll still be including everyone

John: I’m sorry, I just don’t feel comfortable playing soccer with a girl

Dan: How are we going to tell her she can’t play with us? I already told her she could play

John: I’ll do it. *John runs to Kim*

About Matt Fay

Matt Fay is from New Rochelle, NY.
This entry was posted in dialogue #1. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Dialogues

1. Ziwei Chen says:

The second and the third one are very typical, and it’s really a good job to think about differences in situations so familiar that I easily ignore. In the second dialogue, the Denmark boy demonstrates a low uncertainty avoidance by being open to all possibilities while the German boy urges a concrete plan indicating a high uncertainty avoidance. In the third dialogue the conflict between femininity and masculinity is presented in the conflict of whether the girl can join them.

2. Sydney Janitschke says:

Your first example is a good example of long term v. short term orientation. This is a very commonly seen intercultural miscommunication between nations. The example that we did with George Bush and Japan is a good connection to your first one. Your second example is also another good example of long v. short term orientation. That also is very often seen in the United States, even at Bucknell. So far during my time here I have found people who are undecided and are more, “go with the flow,” while others have their four years at Bucknell planned to a “T”. Your last one is a great example of the masculine v. feminine dimension. Think even in sports in elementary v. high school. In elementary school there is hardly any division between the genders, but come high school time, there is a gender separation in sports.

3. Maddie Galvez says:

I had something similar happen to me to that of your third example. A former foreign exchange student visited from Qatar a year after his foreign exchange program had ended, to celebrate his time in D.C a couple of male friends and I went out to dinner. I was the only female in the group of us four and soon we started talking about sports. The foreign exchange student offered up the idea of inviting my two guy friends to a soccer game that weekend. I playfully commented that I would want to go too, to which he haughtily responded “Don’t be silly, soccer stadiums are no place for women”. I was so shocked and offended until I reminded myself that he was not form America and was not used to the norms here. I calmed down and laughed it off, but it was definitely shocking.

4. Katie Faull says:

Great comments! Good work with the dialogues!