Three Skits

Written by Brittany Caceres and Sophie Giuliani

Character K and Character L met each other in college and instantly connected. They decide to go out shopping together.

K: Hey, look! They’ve come out with a new iPod!

L: Hmmm, oh it looks very nice.

K: Oh my god, it’s only $200? I have to buy it!

L: Wait, what? Don’t you already have one?

K: Well, yeah, but I need this one because it has different features.

L: K… that’s a lot of money. Are you sure you want to spend it?

K: Don’t be stingy. This is a very high quality product. Honestly, I think the price is a little low. Don’t you want one too?

L: Not really. I mean, you don’t need it, right? So why buy it?

K: Give me a break. It’s not like I’m emptying my bank account.

L: You will if you keep spending like this!!!!

Character K is from a very indulgent culture while Character L is from a very restrained culture.

Character M is from a collectivist society and Character N is from an individualist society. They are going to take a test.

M: Hey! What section did you study?

N: What do you mean? I studied everything.

M: Cool! So how are we helping each other out during the test? Sign language?

N: What do you mean? This is not a group test, you should have studied.

M: What are you talking about? This is how you do it right? Don’t you guys help each other during tests?

N: No we don’t do that here, it’s cheating and can result in a serious punishment.

M: Oh… that’s weird. Don’t you want everyone to have a good grade?

N: Yes, but my own grade matters more.

Character O is an older person and Character P is a college student.

O: Hello, thank you for helping today, my name is Thomas Blank, if you have any questions come to me.

P: Hey Tom! What’s up?

O: You should call me Mr. Blank.

P: Sure thing dude!

O: I am your supervisor, I would appreciate if you could maintain a professional attitude for the duration of this project or I will have to remove you.

P: Of course, sir! I am sorry for my previous behavior.

O: See that you don’t do it again.

Character O is from a high power society and Character P is from a low power society.

About Sophie Giuliani

Sophie Giuliani comes from Fanwood, NJ, and she speaks English.
This entry was posted in dialogue #1 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Three Skits

1. Iris Fu says:

The first and the third example are great! I love those two.

The first one I would say is more about long term and short term orientation. Long term orientated person saves money for future and short term orientation people tends to spend it for current comfort.

The third example is vivid. Long power distance culture requires respect towards elder, more experienced people by calling their last name with titles. Short power distance culture thinks they can easily become friends with each other, and friends call each other by their first names to show intimacy. Love this one! It’s like you didn’t talk about things but pictured them to the reader.

Still, there’s some point that I don’t agree. The second example is about cheating on an exam. It’s portrayed like the person from collective culture studied nothing but verbally forcing the other student to help him cheat. Cheat is incorrect and dishonest behavior no matter in collectivist or individualist society.

2. Tyler Candelora says:

These examples were wonderful and straight-forward! In skit one, I think that low and high of indulgence are even evident within the same culture depending on your economic background. It may be even more difficult to see a friend from another country with high-indulgence act this way because their background might not be economically stable in the first place. Skit three is very common… too common. Especially in the workplace, you should address your boss with respect. It shows that you care and acknowledge that your boss has the power.

Good Work!!!!

3. Amanda Stefura says:

These skits are excellent because they clearly portray the cultural misunderstandings. The third skit is great because it is very common that people from do not understand that their bosses are to be treated differently if they are from low power distance societies and this misunderstanding could lead to loss of job opportunities. The professional world is difficult to succeed in if one does not understand the culture within that profession. I liked the first skit as well because you clearly portrayed that each character was offended during the interaction. Neither person meant to be rude however due to cultural miscommunications there was offense taken. I really enjoyed reading your skits, they were realistic, to the point and they clearly represented different dimensions of culture.

4. Ozzie Vehra says:

These skits were pretty funny. I’ve never heard of someone calling someone else stingy when they’re buying an expensive product, so I thought that was particularly funny. I’ve noticed that some people spend exorbitant amounts of money because of their cultural values but also because of personal insecurities. I’m curious to know why you guys think some people spend so much money on material possessions, regardless of whether they have the money or not.