Friday after Work

Author: Iris Fu, Xiaoyan Liu.

Dialogue #1

In a Japanese company, there are a Japanese male manager J, two Japanese employees A and B and a Dutch employee C.

(Friday 5pm, manager J walks out of his office.)

J: Let’s grab a beer!

A and B follows J walking out of the office.

C: Sorry, I have to go home.

A: Come on, it’s Friday night!

C: My wife is waiting me at home. Also, I have to pick up my twin daughters from kindergarten by 6pm.

B: Your wife can do this. Let’s go and have some fun!

C: I really can’t go. Sorry.

A and B look at each other and follow J leave the office. None of them pays any more attention to the Dutch employee C.

Employee A and B are coming from a country which has a long power distance. They follow persons who have higher social status. Employee C is from a country which has a short power distance, so that he’s able to say “no” to his boss. Netherland is also a more feminine culture, in which female is not the only person who has to take responsibility of the housework.

Dialogue #2

Two freshman meet on the first day of college.

(At the awkward dinner, A and B sit next to each other, at the School of Management Table.)

A: I’m A, What’s your name dude?

B: My name is B. What’s your major?

A: I intended to study accounting and finance. What about you?

B: Oh, my intended major is accounting and finance as well! Why did you choose this major? You like business?

A: My parents want me to study this. You know, accounting is currently a great major to find a job. Why did you choose it?

B: I love math and I love business management, so accounting and finance is the best major for me.

The culture student A is from is more long-term orientated and masculine society. Parents tend to tell their children what they should study and attend college is for future wealth. In contrast, student B simply peruses what he likes as his major and his future career.

Dialogue #3

There’re two kids, the boy B and the girl G, living with their parents, father F and mother M. They both admitted to Peking University, the best university in China. Their family is poor, and financial-aid is not sufficient to cover all their expenses in college. Only one of the kids can attend the college, and the other one has to get a job in order to help the other kid to pay for expenses in college. When they’re discussing, father F makes the final decision.

B: Sister, you should go to the college. I’m a man, and I am capable to do more labor works to support you and our parents.

G: No, you are the one who should go to the college. You’re a man, and later you’ll support our family. You should be educated, and I can go to do some chores.

B: You should go college.

G: You should go to college.

F: Stop this. B, you’ll go to the college. G, you’re going to get a job in the city.

M: Your father is considering for your benefits. B, the whole family will support you at the college.

In this case, under a masculine society, father tends to make the decision in a family. The society has more cultural expectation on male to achieve success. Also, this cultural is more collective. Everyone contributes his/her values to achieve a common goal, and later on the person who has been selected will pay back for everyone else in the family.

About Iris Fu

My name is Iris Xing Fu. I'm from Beijing, China. I can speak Mandarin, English, a little bit of Japanese, and I'm currently learning French as a beginner. My major is Accounting and Financial Management.
This entry was posted in dialogue #1 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Friday after Work

1. Brittany Caceres says:

It was interesting to see your portrayals of the values that are important in societies with different levels of cultural dimensions. The Dutch man is valuing his wife’s comfort and the family while the Japanese men value the work relationship.

2. Sophie Giuliani says:

I really like how you incorporated two cultural dimensions in your skit. It was interesting, and it wasn’t confusing at all. That is to say, your skit clearly presented the cultural misunderstandings that could occur when people from either a masculine or a feminine society, or people with different levels of power distance meet each other. It was very short, sweet, and to the point.
    Well, actually, when I say it wasn’t confusing at all, I was sort of lying. What I mean is that, it wasn’t confusing for very long. At the beginning, when I saw that the Japanese men were the ones who were going out and having fun, I was confused because I thought that the Japanese weren’t very indulgent. Or at least, that was how I took it. However, then I read the explanation and I realized the reason behind why they agreed to go out.
    All in all, it was a very good skit and it did make sense after I read the explanation and read it over again.

3. Haipu Sun says:

This is really a good example. When I was learning Japanese in China, my Japanese teacher told me that no employee would be dare to refuse an offer from the boss. If the boss want you to have a drink with him, you have no excuse to refuse that (unless you really have something serious to do). Sometimes, the boss may even ask you to drink with him without telling you earlier in the weekends; they will call you and say:”Come down right now. I’m waiting downstairs!”
    I don’t know too much about Dutch’s culture, but I can see your story is realistic from the advice offered from that Japanese employee B. This dialogue is really vivid.

4. Maddie Galvez says:

I was really struck by the first dialogue in which character C is being coerced into going to have a drink by A,B and J , yet character C intends to pick up his daughters and get home at a decent hour instead of going out to have a beer. A and B definitely came from a more masculine society in which it was acceptable for the woman to take care of the children by herself while character C was form a more feminine society in which it was alright for men to perform similar tasks to those of women. I could see this dialogue occurring between some of my older male relatives (from a more masculine society) and someone like my own father who has grown up in a far more feminine environment. Nice work!

5. Reed Widdoes says:

I must say that I loved the examples you created. They were unique and extremely real; I would believe it if someone told me they were real stories. Your analysis was sound and well put. The third example really hit home for me because that is just so different from what would happen in my family. It is amazing to realize how different culture can be.

6. Charles Yang says:

All the scenarios are very realistic scenario that one would encounter in a masculine society. Where male makes important decision for the family and women takes care of the house chores. In dialogue 3, the father makes the FINAL decision and the mom agrees without any opposition. Although, the traditional value is changing, the son often inherit and takes the burden of the family in a masculine society. The situation in dialogue is very true in masculine society and Asian culture, because its matters directly to the job that makes the most money. Thats why its common to hear in China, I want my son to be a lawyer or doctor.

7. Katie Faull says:

Great comments and good dialogues!